Opening hours: Daily throughout the year from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

Kinneff Old Kirk, Kinneff,

Kincardineshire, DD10 0TJ

Present Day Display and Usage

Present Day Display and Usage

The Honours of Scotland have been displayed in the Crown Room of Edinburgh Castle since 1818 except for the period 1941 to 1953. As fear of German occupation grew the Honours were packed into zinc lined cases and concealed in different parts of the castle. They were taken out of hiding in 1953 and presented to the newly crowned Queen Elizabeth at the National Service of Thanksgiving and Dedication at St Giles’ Cathedral. After this they were returned to Edinburgh Castle where they remain on display to the public.

Illustration of the Regalia with Edinburgh Castle in the background.
The Regalia, after being taken from their hiding places, being unpacked for the Queen’s visit in 1953.

On July 1st 1999 the Crown was paraded at the Opening of the newly devolved Scottish Parliament and is now part of the Opening Session of each Parliament.

The Duke of Hamilton carrying the Crown at the Opening Session in 2003. The Sword and Sceptre are not used at these ceremonies as they are considered to be too fragile.


The Lord Lyon, King of Arms and other Heralds carrying the Honours prior to the procession to St Giles for the Service of Thanksgiving in 1953. They are escorted by members of the Royal Company of Archers who are the Queen’s official bodyguard in Scotland.


Painting by Stanley Cursiter “The Honours of Scotland: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh at St Giles’ Cathedral, 24th June 1953”.