The sceptre was originally created in Italy and possibly presented by Pope Alexander VI to James IV in 1494 although it is also possible that the preceding Pope, Innocent VIII, presented it earlier in 1491 along with another gift of a golden Rose. In 1536 Edinburgh goldsmith Adam Leys remodelled the sceptre and added to its length. The original sceptre consisted of a handle attached to a hexagonal rod with a finial incorporating a ball of rock crystal. Leys took moulds of the finial and recast the work in silver adding an additional section to the shaft making the sceptre more impressive. The original section is engraved on three of its sides with urns, leaves and masks and the additional section has engravings of thistles and fleur de lis. The King’s initials (IR5) are also engraved at the top of the rod. The finial is flanked by dolphins and flower shapes. Between the dolphins are three figures – the Virgin wearing a crown and holding the naked Child on her right arm and carrying an orb on her left hand; St James with a book in his right hand and a staff on his left and St Andrew holding an open book in his left hand and a saltire cross in his right. The polished ball of rock crystal sits above the group of figures held in place by three silver strips and a small golden globe surmounted by a pearl sits atop this.